23 Feb Reaching In, Reaching Out: Yoga for Youth Training
New Leaf Yoga Foundation is a leader in Canada making yoga and mindfulness-based practices available to youth. Our organization has spent the last 8 years delivering long-term, sustainable programming to youth in some of the least-serviced communities and facilities in the Greater Toronto Area and southern Ontario, including within primary and secondary schools, custody facilities, gang-exit initiatives and homeless shelters.
Join us for this 15-hour introductory training where New Leaf will share our best practices for making yoga accessible and relevant for young people in diverse and sensitive environments. The training primarily focuses on approaches for youth aged approximately 10-20 but material can be adapted for younger age groups or other demographics.
- Understand the importance of anti-oppression practices in yoga service work
- Learn a trauma-informed framework for offering yoga & mindfulness-based practices
- Recognize behavioural issues from a trauma-informed perspective
- Develop skills for engaging youth, working with resistance and other challenges
- Build capacity for active listening, healthy boundaries and strengths/resilience-based approaches
- Design sessions utilizing New Leaf’s class model
- Create self-care strategies
- Lectures on teaching pedagogy
- Experiential mindfulness and physical yoga practices
- Practice teaching
- Small group/partner work
- Self-reflection exercises
Each participant will receive a copy of New Leaf’s Teaching Guide.
We recommend that participants have a minimum 200 hour yoga teaching certification. If you are not a certified yoga teacher but would like to attend, please complete this form.
We’re sold out! You can add yourself to the waitlist by clicking the button below. If a space becomes available, you will be contacted automatically with further instructions on how to register.
Artscape Youngplace (map)
$290 Early-bird until Apr 15th
May 29 – 31, 2015
Friday 6pm – 9pm
Saturday 12:30pm – 7:30pm
Sunday 10am – 4:30pm
All proceeds go to support our yoga programs for youth in marginalized communities. Limited sliding scale spaces are available. Please email us for details.
Laura Sygrove is Co-founder and Executive Director of NLYF. She brings 8 years of experience developing New Leaf programming, training teachers and working primarily with youth in custody.
Julia Gibran is a Senior Program Facilitator with NLYF and has been teaching yoga in studios and to youth for almost a decade. Her degree in education fuels a passion for social activism and offering yoga to youth who have experienced trauma.